On Air Now:
Now Playing:Loading...
site loader
June 7, 2021 FG Summons UK, U.S Ambassadors, Gives Condition For Lifting Of Twitter Ban

FG Summons UK, U.S Ambassadors, Gives Condition For Lifting Of Twitter Ban

The federal government will only restore Twitter if assured that the platform would be used responsibly.

The diplomats had condemned the ban in Nigeria, saying "banning systems of expression is not the answer.

"These measures inhibit access to information and commerce at precisely the moment when Nigeria needs to foster inclusive dialogue and expression of opinions, as well as share vital information in this time of the COVID-19 pandemic."

On Monday, June 7, 2021, Nigeria's Foreign Affairs Ministry issued the following statement:

“I am directed to inform that following the recent ban on Twitter by the federal government and press statement issued by some Heads of Diplomatic Missions accredited to Nigeria on the subject matter, the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, His Excellency, Geoffrey Onyeama has invited the affected Ambassadors to a meeting today at 12 noon.

“The venue is Minister’s Conference Room, 8th Floor."

During the meeting, Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama told the diplomats that Twitter operations will only be restored in Nigeria if the platform is used responsibly.

"We are not saying that Twitter is threatening the country or any such thing. We have taken this measure to stop them to be used as platforms for destabilisation and facilitation of criminality or enforcement of criminalities," Onyeama said.

He added that the condition for restoring Twitter in Nigeria would be "responsible use of the platform and that really would be it."

June 4, 2021 17,382 Persons Receive Second Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In Lagos

17,382 Persons Receive Second Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine In Lagos

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, says 17,382 persons have received the second dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine in the state as at May 31.

He said 12,288 persons received the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on the reported date.

According to him, 300, 534 persons who received the first jab of the vaccine were yet to get the second shot.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the commissioner had earlier stated that 317,916 persons were inoculated with the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.

The state commenced the Phase One of its COVID-19 vaccination programme on March 12.

Abayomi said the administration of the second dose of the vaccine, which began on May 28, was in continuation of the phase one vaccination exercise.

“For anyone to be fully vaccinated, two doses of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine are required, with an interval of six to 12 weeks,” he said.

The commissioner noted that the state would need to vaccinate 14 million people, which is 60 per cent of its population, to reach its target to achieve herd immunity.

He said the state was considering several channels, including discussions with the Federal Government and the private sector, to ramp up its vaccination numbers.

 
 
 
June 4, 2021 FRSC Seizes 373 Vehicles With Expired Documents In Kaduna

FRSC Seizes 373 Vehicles With Expired Documents In Kaduna

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has seized 373 vehicles with expired vehicle documents, old number plates and without driver’s licence in Kaduna State.

He added that 252 vehicles were seized in Kaduna, 41 in Kafanchan and 80 in Zaria.

Mohammed stressed the need for motorists to register their vehicles and acquire new number plates.

“We still have cases of motorists with unregistered vehicle papers, including tricycles and motorcycles still ply our roads and perpetrate crimes unnoticed.

“If a registered vehicle is used to commit, a crime, we can easily trace the person by logging onto our ur database, using addresses of violators.

“The defaulters are given ample time to acquire the new number plates, driver’s licence and renew their expired vehicles’ particulars,’’ he said.

Muhammed said the joint operation would be sustained and thanked stakeholders involved in the exercise for their cooperation.

 
 
June 4, 2021 Journalists’ Lives Under Threat In Nigeria, Says US

Journalists’ Lives Under Threat In Nigeria, Says US

The United States of America has called for the protection of the lives of journalists in Nigeria, saying that threats to journalists have been alarming.

The US Consulate General Public Affairs Officer, Stephen Ibelli, said this while speaking through a Zoom meeting in Uyo during a media workshop on Investigative Health Care Reporting organised by the International Press Centre for journalists in the South-South in collaboration with the US Consulate.

He stated that journalists in the country were working under unfavorable conditions.

He said the US Consulate was ready and willing to support and promote investigative health reports, adding that it had been involved in the promotion and sponsorship of health programmes across the country like USAID.

Ibelli said, “I appreciate International Press Centre for partnering with us. Your presence is an indication of your strong interest to report things on the health sector.

“Nigeria is facing a lot of challenges in the health sector. Since 2003, we have invested over N6bn in fighting HIV/AIDs. I hope the seminar will help you tell the story better.

“Many people look to the media to help tell the story. We will continue to work on the improvement of the training, welfare of journalists and how to combat misinformation. We are particularly concerned about the protection of journalists, and their safety in reporting.”

Watch Live

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration -:-:-
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -:-:-
 
1x

x
PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com